Course - Think Like an Architect
*3D Design Software Included!
*Are you a home school and have other children who want this experience too? Great! Since your students can share the software, we have a reduced price for each additional child in your household. Click on the button to the left to see purchasing options.
Courses can be used as components of science courses (about one school year quarter per course) or they might be used as elective courses (one-fourth credit per course).
- 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 / 8 / 10; Mac OS X
- v10.9 (Mavericks) or newer
- 2.4 GHz processor or Multi-Core Processor
- 5 GB of available hard disk space
- 2 GB of RAM (32-bit); 4GB of RAM (64-bit)
- 512 MB of dedicated video memory or
- Integrated Graphics, e.g., Intel HD Graphics (driver needs to be 2014 or newer)
- Network speeds: Greater than 1 Mbps (Test Network Speeds)
- Browser Requirements: Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
- Mouse with scroll wheel
Lesson 1 – What is Architecture?
Lesson 2 – A Quick History of Architecture
Lesson 3 – Form and Function
Lesson 4 – What’s an Architect
Lesson 5 – Tools of an Architect
Lesson 6 – Architecture and Math
Lesson 7 – How to Read an Architect Scale
Lesson 8 – Drawing, Sketching and Blueprints (click HERE for sample lesson)
Lesson 9 – Create a Simple Blueprint
Lesson 10 – Create a Blueprint of Your Home (click HERE for sample lesson)
Lesson 11 – Floor Plans
Lesson 12 – What is C.A.D.?
Lesson 13 – Designing Your Dream Home!
Lesson 14 – Creating a Paper Model of Your Dream Home
Home Designer Essentials
Give your students an exercise in applied science, innovation, and design with an experience being an Architect! (Grades 6-12)
Architects are the professionals who design the places we live, work, and play. Architects use science and math to solve problems related to building and structures. They are professional problem-solvers and innovators! In this course, students will learn how to think like an innovator through the eyes of an Architect.
What students will LEARN:
• What is architecture.
• Quick history of architecture.
• What an architect is and does.
• Form vs. function.
• Tools of an architect.
• Some of the math and science used by architects.
• Reading and creating blueprints, and using an architect scale.
• Something called a "Tiny House."
What students will DO:
• Develop and choose a favorite style of architecture.
• Use an architect scale to create working drawings.
• Design a floor plan.
• Learn how to use an architectural 3D design software.
• Create a 3D computer model of their dream house.
• Create a material list of a new home design.
• Create a 3D paper model of their dream home.
• Design and estimate a "Tiny House."
Thinking Like an Innovator - FREE mini course (Included)
Innovative thinking is not only fun, it's a critical skill that needs to be developed and exercised. Give your students a super-charged experience, learning how to think like an innovator!
Students will learn:
• Brain games
• 6 step design process
• 5 why's technique
• How to have more ideas
• Crazy powerful brainstorming technique
• 4 poisons that kill innovation
• What are problems and solutions...really?
• The story of a man who solved the greatest problem of his day!
*Are you a home school and have other children who want this experience too? Great! Since your students can share the software, we have a reduced price for each additional child in your household. Click on the button to the right, and see the purchasing options.